My newest W10 build
This was originally written when I first got a new laptop, a 14″ ACER; it’s a bit smaller than the last one, its CPU is about 4 times more powerful and it only took me a couple of hours to get going. I got fed up with the recurring BSOD and “reset the PC” in Sept 21. This didn’t work and so I got a new system, which is my 3rd with W10. Here are my notes. …
No 3, a new HP
What I did this time,
- I used ninite, to install, firefox, chrome, opera, paint.net, zoom, skype, winscp, putty, visual studio code, imburn, windirstat & 7-zip; I forgot to ask for, ccleaner, Steam, Google backup & sync, audacity, spotify, the vnc server/viewers, teracopy and winrar. They don’t offer office or adobe acroread.
- Then authorised whole disk sharing and copied across C:\tcl, c:\bin, and C:\python37.
- By then windows update was ready and so I ran the update, then reset the taskbar settings, inc. how do i turn off the news taskbar preview in windows 10
- Then off to https://www.office.com and install office.
- Copy NWN onto the C: drive
- Install Adobe Acroread & Real VNC from the web
- Download and Register CCleaner, the licence details are in an email; then clean the registry, and update the drivers. I also copied ~/etc to the new machine at this point
- Install google back up & sync; this requires you to login to google with a browser
- Then HP Smart, which I think is on the computer as its an HP, but I need it for my printing, I’ll wait until I need the Print & Scan doctor.
- And next the store for, whatsapp desktop, todo, facebook messenger and windows terminal FFS 😱 (that’s 22 at the moment, not counting the contents of C:\bin.
- Windows Mail seems to be much better behaved these days. 22/10/2020
- I made recovery usb drive.
- I uninstalled McAffee.
- I had a sound fault, speakers weren’t working, so I downloaded new drivers. See the comment.
I have made a comment about syncing OneDrive which points at this.
NB File associations are held locally, this is one reason that the file explorer does not render pictures properly it needs a ‘helper’ app. (It might be possible to copy the registry tree accross but I don’t know how). I associated photos with .png and wish with .tcl
I am not finished yet and I am very bored with this. I need to see if there’s a better way than this, will this article on windows package management help?
After a Reset
I reset the PC, let’s see what’s broken? I looked at package managers but have reinstalled most apps by hand using firefox. I need the Firefox dictionary and language pack, and then got MS ToDo from the store.
I made a comment about .pdf readers. i.e. I have installed Adobe’s acroread, but there maybe better options from the store.
The windows mail app seems better behaved today and I have moved the stuff on anti-virus and video drivers to the comments. ccleaner now comes with a driver (& a limited product) updater. Sep 2021
Version 1 2020
This is what I did once I unboxed the Acer. Filezilla, would not install from the browser, I had to save then run; this may have been Norton misbehaving. I have installed the games, and written a note on NWN2. Here’s how to transfer the putty settings. Yahoo Mail was a bit tricky.
Windows Terminal & Bash
There is new code for a
Windows Terminal, which I have installed. It is called
wt.exe, and I have installed a short cut in my
More folder. On installing wt.exe, the second time, i.e after a reset, I discover I want/need bash. This takes me to this on installing the WSL, and this on the store for the bash implementation.
Windows Mail App & Gmail
This can be a bit of a problem. I came across the issue where W10 does not write to the “Sent” box for Gmail, which I documented, but on running the rest I moved my findings to the comments. The problem seems to have gone away/ by Sep 21. The following remains useful. How to set the signature files in windows 10 mail.
The video conferencing apps misbehave. The detailed comments have been moved to the comments section of this page; the problem seemed to be related to version control of Skype and the video drivers. I updated the Skype version, and the video system driver using the MS driver interface in the systems applet of the control panel/settings panel. I sourced the driver from Intel. ACER did not have a video driver.